5 Aug 2024

Book Review / The Writing Retreat by Julia Bartz


 A book deal to die for.


Five attendees are selected for a month-long writing retreat at the remote estate of Roza Vallo, the controversial high priestess of feminist horror. Alex, a struggling writer, is thrilled.

Upon arrival, they discover they must complete an entire novel from scratch, and the best one will receive a seven-figure publishing deal. Alex’s long-extinguished dream now seems within reach.

But then the women begin to die.

Trapped, terrified yet still desperately writing, it is clear there is more than a publishing deal at stake at Blackbriar Estate. Alex must confront her own demons – and finish her novel – to save herself.

This unhinged, propulsive, claustrophobic closed-door thriller will pull you in and spit you out…


Published:  21st February 2023
Publisher:   Atrica
Goodreads : Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Bought
Genres:     Thriller and Mystery



MY REVIEW


What I liked about this story...  The suspense would have to be the main aspect of this novel that drew me in and kept me reading.  I wanted to find out what happens next and where this book would take me.  I wanted to learn more about the characters.  There were a few surprises along the way that got me!

What I didn't like about this story...  I think this is one of those books that I might need to give another try to at some point in the future as, honestly, I got a bit lost with the story in places and struggled to keep up.  It was a bit strange in places.

Would I recommend...  I would but, for me, this was an average thriller but with great writing promise so I will be picking up more from this author as and when she writes more.


No comments: