12 Aug 2024

Book Review / The Missing Daughter by Emily Gunnis


 From the author of the runaway bestseller The Girl in the Letter comes a heartwrenching, twisting novel of betrayal, tragedy and a shocking family secret buried for decades.


1960. Thirteen-year-old Rebecca lives in fear of her father’s temper. As a storm batters Seaview Cottage one night, she hears a visitor at the door and a violent argument ensues. By the time the police arrive, Rebecca’s parents are dead and the visitor has fled. No one believes Rebecca heard a stranger downstairs...

2014. Iris, a journalist, is sent to cover the story of a new mother on the run with her desperately ill baby. But fatefully the trail leads to the childhood home of Iris’s own mother, Rebecca…Seaview Cottage.

As Iris races to unravel what happened the night Rebecca’s parents were killed, it’s time for Seaview Cottage to give up its secrets.

Published:  16th August 2019
Publisher:   Review
Goodreads : Click Here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Bought
Genres:     Historical Fiction, Mystery and Thriller
Pages:  352, Kindle 




MY REVIEW

What I liked about this story...  One of my most favourite styles of stories is the split narrative style story, where you have two characters who are more often or not in different time periods and you follow each to only find out that there's a connection somewhere that gets revealed near the end of the story.  This was one of those novels.  The suspense in this story was really good and certainly kept me hooked.   If I had to pick a favourite, I did really enjoy following Iris who is in the 'present day' and watching her investigate and look back.  

What I didn't like about this story...  If I had to be picky I wished there were more surprises, but this may have been me and not the book as I have read so many of these style of stories now and it does take a lot to really surprise me.  

Would I recommend...  A great novel and certainly worth picking up, especially if you are new to both historical fiction and split narrative stories.  






No comments: