11 Jul 2010

Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult

Perfect Match: A Novel


What does it mean to be a good mother?

How far would you go in the name of love -- and justice?

Perfect Match
 
In the course of her everyday work, career-driven assistant district attorney Nina Frost prosecutes child molesters and works determinedly to ensure that a legal system with too many loopholes keeps these criminals behind bars. But when her own five-year-old son, Nathaniel, is traumatized by a sexual assault, Nina and her husband, Caleb, a quiet and methodical stone mason, are shattered, ripped apart by an enraging sense of helplessness in the face of a futile justice system that Nina knows all too well. In a heartbeat, Nina's absolute truths and convictions are turned upside down, and she hurtles toward a plan to exact her own justice for her son -- no matter the consequence, whatever the sacrifice.


This is the first book I ever read written by Jodi Picoult and I have to admit this is my favourite, so far.  The issue of child abuse and other issues brought up in this book is a real issue that I don't believe is ever really explored fully in newspapers and magazines (I don't know if this is fact but from my own personal experience I have not come across too many stories like this one)...  I loved the way that you are led to believe one thing about a character but reading on you are then led to believe another thing.... 

A great story from a great author.  I would definitely recommend this one...

100 out of 10

 

2 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

I liked this one a lot too. The mother was ruthless when it came to protecting her son. This book was quite shocking to me.

Eesti said...

The new book out by Jodi Picoult is all I was hoping for and more. The writing is exquisite, layered in textures presented from several points of view, including that of a five year old child, and unfortunately in this case, pertinent to the world around us. I don t think this woman can write a bad book and her subject matter always touches on the relevant subjects of the day.