15 Jan 2018

, ,

Series Review / The Diviners Series by Libba Bray (Books 1 to 3)


Evie O’Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City—and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It’s 1926, and New York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult.

Evie worries he’ll discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer.

As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho hides a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened.


Published:     2012
Publisher:  Little Brown
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Books 1, 2 and 3, The Diviners
Source:  Owned




MY REVIEW

This has seriously been on my TBR pile for years!  I can't believe that I have left it so long before picking it up!  I loved this series and so happy that it is not yet finished.  You will see that I have given this a four star rating even though I am saying I loved this series and that is because it is not yet finished.  There are so many questions and unfinished story lines that are going on at the moment, I just can't give it a 5 star rating until I have seen that play out and I can see where the story is headed.  I can see that this is one of those series that will be a 5 star read, hopefully, when I get to the end based on what I have read so far.

Each of these books obviously has the same characters and there is one larger story line that runs right through each of them but each book then has its own mysteries and problems to solve.  I suppose that you could pick these up as individual reads but I would recommend reading them in order to get the full picture of what is going on and where the story is headed.

In terms of characters and story lines, this book really surprised me with a lot of the topics that it covers.  As it is based in the 1920s you have the issues that you would expect to see in that era such as racial prejudices and LGBT themes and, to me, those issues were dealt with very well in this series.  In fact, one of my favourite romantic plot lines in this book has a LGBT theme but I won't say too much more about that because of spoilers.

What an addicting series that I can't wait to dig into when the next book in the series comes out...







0 comments: