24 Jan 2018

,

Book Review / The Firm by John Grisham


When Mitch McDeere signed on with Bendini, Lambert and Locke of Memphis, he thought he and his beautiful wife, Abby, were on their way. The firm leased him a BMW, paid off his school loans, arranged a mortgage, and hired him a decorator. Mitch McDeere should have remembered what his brother Ray-doing fifteen years in a Tennessee jail- already knew. You never get nothing for nothing. Now the FBI has the lowdown on Mitch's firm and needs his help. Mitch is caught between a rock and a hard place, with no choice-- if he wants to live.

Published:     First Published 1991
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Owned



MY REVIEW

What I liked about this story...  As with all the John Grisham novels I have read so far (and there are many more to go, most of which I plan to read in 2018) this book failed to disappoint.  His writing always draws me in and holds me in his story until the very last page.  I read this book in one day.  I just could not put it down.  I will be honest and say that I have watched the movie many times before reading this book and the movie is one of my favourites of all time but there's just something about reading the actual book that makes the experience so much better.

There are a lot of differences between the book and the movie, some good and some not so good.  The not so good I will cover below.  The good is the fact that we get more information, on the characters, the situations and the background.  With the book, I felt that the bad characters definitely were bad characters whereas in the movie I still felt kind of bad for feeling bad about the bad characters - if that makes sense?!

What I didn't like about this story...  Well, where do I start?  This is a book that I should have definitely read many years ago when it first came out.  That is when I would have truly appreciated it.  Reading it now, in this time and age it just felt out of place.  It was disparaging against women, in terms of the 'the pretty ones' get nice houses and rich husbands whereas the 'not so pretty ones' get put as 'grumpy secretaries'.  That was the main point that bugged be throughout the whole book. 


0 comments: