13 Feb 2017

,

Book Review / Eyes Like Mine by Sheena Kamal


It's late. The phone rings.

The man on the other end says his daughter is missing.

Your daughter.

The baby you gave away over fifteen years ago.

What do you do?


Nora Watts isn't sure that she wants to get involved. Troubled, messed up, and with more than enough problems of her own, Nora doesn't want to revisit the past. But then she sees the photograph. A girl, a teenager, with her eyes. How can she turn her back on her?

But going in search of her daughter brings Nora into contact with a past that she would rather forget, a past that she has worked hard to put behind her, but which is always there, waiting for her . . .

In Eyes Like Mine, Sheena Kamal has created a kick-ass protagonist who will give Lisbeth Salander a run for her money. Intuitive, not always likeable, and deeply flawed, Nora Watts is a new heroine for our time.


Published:     9th February 2017
Publisher:  Bonnier Zaffre
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand Alone
Source:  Review Copy from Publisher



MY REVIEW

What I liked about this book...  For me, the mystery and the 'what's going to happen next' was the main pull for me in reading this book.  Honestly speaking, I was more interested in learning more about the character of Nora and what her past was.  There were certainly hints to some kind of mysterious past and I really want to find out what that was.  She was also the kind of main character that I loved to hate.  Some of the things she said and did made sense but some of it I was sitting in my chair thinking 'why did you just do that?'.  To me, it made the character more real than someone who just made the right decisions all the time, which let's be honest and say that just doesn't happen!

What I didn't like about this book...   Maybe it was just me but I felt that despite the main part of this story is that Nora's daughter has gone missing this book focused less and less on that and more about Nora and her story.  Maybe that is what it was meant to be but I would have liked to  have learned more about her daughter and the situation she found herself in at any given time. 


0 comments: