10 Jul 2013

Book Review: Two for Joy by Helen Chandler




Julia and Toby have been friends for years, but apart from a couple of drunken snogs in their university days, there's never been anything more than friendship between them. It's only when Toby goes through a dramatic break up with his gorgeous ballerina girlfriend Ruby, that he and Julia realise they're meant to be together.

Then Ruby drops a bombshell - she's pregnant - and though he feels torn in two, Toby feels he has to give their relationship another chance.

Heartbroken Julia is left to lick her wounds in her little Walthamstow home, thinking she has lost Toby forever. But things soon become much more complicated . . .


Published:    6th June 2013
Publisher:  Hodder
Goodreads :  Click here
Series:  Not part of a series
Source:  Review Copy from Publisher


What I loved about this book…

Its another one of those I love it but I hate it kind of jobs here and that is to do with viewpoint.  I did enjoy the switch in viewpoint between the two main characters – Julia and Toby.  It gave more than one version of how the story went and what each character thought about it at the time. 

I liked the romance in this story, it felt real and what was meant to be with a few obstacles in the way.  One of the characters here has some very tough decisions to make and I thought the decisions that this character made the right ones despite the circumstances. 

What I was not fond of about this book…

Although the viewpoint was good, there were times when the viewpoint just changed in the middle of a chapter and I hadn’t realised it had changed meaning that I had to go back and re-read some of the previous chapter again. 

Despite the fact that there seems to be a lot going on in this story there were parts where I felt the story dragged on with a lot of description of characters getting from A to B and not what happened when they got to the main scene.  I would have loved to have seen more about what happens at events rather than what happens on the way to events.

In summary…

This was a very interesting book and the main like for me was the decisions the characters have to make whether that is morally or love related and I really enjoyed finding out what the characters did when they made their decisions and the consequences of those decisions.  However, despite the above I did have trouble keeping my concentration on the story with the viewpoint changes and extra descriptions.

Video Review...


Best wishes

Debs J


0 comments: