1 Jul 2013

Author Interview: Jennifer Faye



      

   

      Rancher to the Rescue
   

 

 
 
 Damsel in a wedding dress!

Jilted at the altar, celebrity chef Meghan Finnegan flees the scene—and the baying press—only to run straight into the muscled torso of Cash Sullivan.

The former rodeo champion knows what it's like to have your life crumble in the spotlight, so he offers Meghan a place to lie low at his ranch.

Fresh air, no paparazzi and the brooding rancher's lazy smile are making Meghan not want to leave her sanctuary. But she and her unborn baby can't stay here forever...can they?

1.      If you could work with any other author, who would it be and why?
This is real toughie. There are so many wonderful authors that I enjoy. One that is at the top of my teetering TBR pile is Robyn Carr. The Virgin River series is one of my favorites. If there was ever a fictional town that I’d like to visit, it’s that one. I’m partway through the series and I have the town all mapped out in my mind. I can actually visualize the main street, the bar, doc’s office and the rest of it. The characters are so genuine and unique that I can’t help but be captivated by Virgin River. I will be sad to see this series end.
2.      What would be a typical working day for you? When and where do you write?
I don’t know if any day is typical. I usually start off with one plan and end up working on something else that must be done right away. But my day always starts with a hot cup of Lipton Original Tea and some yogurt. While I’m enjoying my energizing caffeine, I thumb through my inbox looking for any news from my editor. The remainder of my morning is spent doing social media as well as those pesky things like laundry and exercising. It isn’t until after lunch that I generally get to my writing. And my location for writing can be anywhere from my recliner to the dining room to the front porch. Just depends.
3.      What is the hardest part of the writing for you?
The opening chapter. Hands down it is the hardest for me. It’s like arriving at the middle of a party and trying to figure out what’s going on. The jumping in point is ubber important. There are backgrounds to lightly sprinkle in as needed. Add a dash of action to catch the reader’s attention. A tone to set. Conflict to introduce… *sigh* And don’t forget to keep the pace humming along. After I nail down the opening chapter, my pace definitely picks up.
4.      When and why did you first start writing?
I couldn’t even tell you how young I was when the writing bug took hold. I know that my first favorite author was Dr. Seuss. After that I was determined to write a book of poetry. You know “Roses are red, violets are blue”. Hey, I was just a little kid, what can you expect? ;-) It wasn’t until my teens that I found romance and I was hooked for life.
5.      How did you come up with the idea for your book?
I’ve always enjoyed Julia Roberts and Richard Gere in the movie RUNAWAY BRIDE. So I started to ponder various scenarios for a bride to make a headline exit from the church. The question that kept plaguing me was “why?” In fact that question played a huge part in my plotting. In fact, I ask “why?” more times than you can count while writing a book.
6.      Are you a big reader? If so, what are you reading now?
I LOVE to read. But now that I write full-time, I don’t have nearly as much time to read as I’d like. I still sneak it in there as much as I can. I can’t imagine being a writer and not reading. They just go hand-in-hand.
7.      Do you have any advice for other aspiring writers?
Read. Read. Read.
And then write. Write. Write.
And never ever give up. Keep going. You’ll get there.
                         


2 comments:

Angela Adams said...

I'm a "Virgin River" fan, too. Best wishes with "Rancher to the Rescue!"

Jennifer Faye said...

Robyn Carr's books are excellent!

Thanks so much! :-)