7 Jun 2012

Book Review - Adorkable by Sarra Manning

Jeane Smith is seventeen and has turned her self-styled dorkiness into an art form, a lifestyle choice and a profitable website and consultancy business. She writes a style column for a Japanese teen magazine and came number seven in The Guardian's 30 People Under 30 Who Are Changing The World.

 And yet, in spite of the accolades, hundreds of Internet friendships and a cool boyfriend, she feels inexplicably lonely, a situation made infinitely worse when Michael Lee, the most mass-market, popular and predictably all-rounded boy at school tells Jeane of his suspicion that Jeane's boyfriend is secretly seeing his girlfriend. 

Michael and Jeane have NOTHING in common - she is cool and individual; he is the golden boy in an Abercrombie & Fitch T-shirt. So why can't she stop talking to him?


Check out the Goodreads page here. 
Release Date - 24th May 2012

8/10

My Review 
(video review at end of post)
 'The Adorkable Manifesto
  1. We have nothing to declare but our dorkiness. 
  2. Jumble sales are our shopping malls. 
  3. Better to make cookies than be a cookie-cutter.
  4. Suffering doesn't necessarily improve you but it does give you something to blog about.
  5. Experiment with Photoshop, hair dye, nail polish and cupcake flavours but never drugs. 
  6. Don't follow leaders, be one.
  7. Necessity is the mother of customisation.
  8. Puppies make everything better.
  9. Quiet girls rarely make history.
  10. Never shield your oddness, but wear your oddness like a shield'
                                                                                    Quote from First Page of Adorkable


What a great start to a book.  I could very easily follow each of these rules....

At the beginning of the book, we see Jeane standing up for what she believes in and stays true to herself and her beliefs.  We also see her very lonely with her parents having split up; her mother is abroad teaching meditation and her father also abroad owning a bar.  Although her sister did live with her, she had to go away for medical training so Jeane is very much living under her own bubble.  

I liked the banter between Jeane and Michael, having found out that their boyfriend/girlfriend have been seeing each other behind their backs.  I believe they say that opposites attract and Michael and Jeane are definitely opposites.  I liked their interaction with each other and, as time goes on, what effect they have on each other.  The chapters alternate between the viewpoints of both Jeane and Michael and it is definitely very entertaining to read about both sides of the story.   

Before I finish the review, there is one other quote that I would like to share here, taken from page 27 of Adorkable, which I just absolutely love.
'...I double-clicked on Firefox, then on Tweetdeck, and connected by iPhone to my computer so I could upload the pictures I'd taken that afternoon.
     My fingers flew over the keys as I wrote my first tweet of the evening.  The I hit return and within ten seconds someone had replied.
     And, just like that, I wasn't alone anymore.'



Best wishes

Debs :-)

 

1 comments:

Stephanie @ Read In a Single Sitting said...

Ah, Twitter, uniting the world. :)

I agree with you about Jeane's character--she's so frosty to begin with, but she becomes much more relatable when that outer shell begins to crack.