4 Sept 2010

Book Review – Blockade Billy by Stephen King


Blockade BillyEven the most die-hard baseball fans don't know the true story of William “Blockade Billy” Blakely. He may have been the greatest player the game has ever seen, but today no one remembers his name. He was the first--and only--player to have his existence completely removed from the record books. Even his team is long forgotten, barely a footnote in the game's history.

Every effort was made to erase any evidence that William Blakely played professional baseball, and with good reason. Blockade Billy had a secret darker than any pill or injection that might cause a scandal in sports today. His secret was much, much worse... and only Stephen King, the most gifted storyteller of our age, can reveal the truth to the world, once and for all.
 
 I have to confess that this is the first book that I have read written by Stephen King and I have to say that I liked his style of writing. Building up the tension and great characters. To ease myself into Stephen King novels, I chose this book firstly because it was a novella so it was not really that long (80 small pages long) and secondly because I thought this was one of his less scary stories. Yes, it was creepy but very good story. The only thing that let it down for me was the fact that it talked a lot about baseball which is a sport that I do not know too much about so a lot of the story I was not really understanding as much as I would have if I knew the sport. I loved the way that it was written like someone was telling the story to the author. To me, it felt like I was a fly on the wall watching the conversation from the ceiling.

For those of you who love baseball, this is a story that you will definitely enjoy.....

6 out of 10

Best Wishes

2 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

Gerard loves Stephen King books and read this one. A link to his review of it is here: http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2010/07/blockade-billy-by-stephen-king.html

I didn't like the one I read (The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon) or the one I started and quit (Gerald's Game), but I do like baseball so maybe this is one I should try.

Debra's Book Cafe said...

Hi! Thanks for the link I will check that out now.... This story is definately worth a read but I think someone who knows more about baseball will appreciate this story to its fullest... Best wishes