21 Feb 2021

,

Book Review / Carrie by Stephen King


 

Carrie knew she should not use the terrifying power she possessed... But one night at her senior prom, Carrie was scorned and humiliated just one time too many, and in a fit of uncontrollable fury she turned her clandestine game into a weapon of horror and destruction...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Published:     13th October 2011
Publisher:  Hodder & Stoughton
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand Alone
Source: Owned

 


BOOK REVIEW


Stephen King has written so many books and as I have started to get more into his writing I wanted to go back and start at the beginning.  I think this was his first published book (but do correct me if I am wrong!) and one that I was very keen to read and discover more.  I have always been meaning to watch the movie also but haven't because I wanted to read the book first - as books are nearly always better than the movie!

We follow Carrie as she is bullied both at school and at home and she was at the brink of falling apart, having had enough.  However, there is more to Carrie than meets the eye.  Carrie has powers that she hasn't really used... until now...

I really enjoyed this but do have to admit that I couldn't get hooked into this story and found parts of it not interesting to follow.  For me, the story picked up when Carrie was about to break and we start to see exactly what power she has and what she could do with it.  Honestly, the best part of the story was the characters.  This is something that I have come across with the Stephen King novels that I have read so far, that I tend to enjoy the most.  You have a mix of good and bad characters, interacting independently, together and against each other.  

A slow read but worth a pick up for the enjoyable characterisation.

 

 

 

0 comments: