11 May 2020

, , ,

Book Review / The Snow Rose by Lulu Taylor

The Snow Rose is the gripping story of a woman on the run from her past by Lulu Taylor, author of The Winter Folly.

I suppose Rory and I will divorce at some point, when I've got the time to think about it and the strength to tackle the dreary admin it will involve. The house. The division of money and belongings. What will happen to Heather.

He's not taking her away from me. It's what he wants. It's what they all want.

I know they think I'm not fit to look after her. My mother thinks it. That's why I won't see her either, or my sister. They're in cahoots with Rory, all of them scheming how to get her away from me. That's why I have to escape them while I can, while I still have the opportunity . . .


Kate is on the run with her daughter, her identity hidden and her destination unknown to her husband and family. She's found a place where she and Heather can be alone and safe, a huge old house full of empty rooms. But it turns out she's not alone. There are the strange old ladies in the cottage next door, Matty and her blind sister Sissy. How long can Kate hide Heather's presence from them? And then the newcomers arrive, the band of eccentrics led by the charming and charismatic Archer. Kate begins to realize that she is involved in something strange and dangerous, and the past she's so desperate to escape is about to find her . . .


Published:     1st December 2016
Publisher:  Pan
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Owned




MY REVIEW


Lulu Taylor has this style of writing that just keeps me wanting to pick up more and more of her books!

In this story, we follow Kate, who believes that her husband (they are separated) was going to take her daughter away from her, as she takes her daughter away into hiding.  They go to stay at a large estate.  Kate is not only there to hide away.  She is there to look after the estate and map out what is wrong with it, for a company who had hired her to do that.  As expected, things aren't what they seem and Kate soon realises that she is on a downward spiral in more ways than one. We also follow the story of the house in the past and what had happened to lead to the estate being abandoned. 

I just could not stop reading this book.  I had to know what was going to happen next.   There were certainly quite a lot of twists and turns that kept me on my toes.  Some of them I had already guessed but the major plot twists that come nearer the end of the story took me completely by surprise.















0 comments: