21 May 2020

,

Book Review / Don't You Cry by Mary Kubica



In downtown Chicago, Esther Vaughan disappears from her apartment without a trace. A haunting letter addressed to My Dearest is found among her possessions, leaving her roommate Quinn Collins to question how well she really knew her friend. Meanwhile, in a small town an hour outside Chicago, a mysterious woman appears in the quiet coffee shop where eighteen-year-old Alex Gallo works as a dishwasher. He is immediately drawn to her, but what starts as an innocent crush quickly spirals into something far more sinister.

As Quinn searches for answers about Esther, and Alex is drawn further under the stranger's spell, master of suspense Mary Kubica takes readers on a taut and twisted thrill ride that builds to a stunning conclusion and shows that no matter how fast and far we run, the past always catches up with us.





Published:     17th May 2016
Publisher:  MIRA
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Owned



MY REVIEW

Having only read one of Mary Kubica's books before, I was excited to see what else she had to offer, so I decided to pick this one up.  This story follows Quinn who discovers that her roommate has gone missing.  Little by little, clues turn up which takes Quinn in one direction but things are not always how they seem to be.

What I loved about this story...
This story truly gripped me from the beginning.  You have this missing person and you have the friend who is puzzled by her friend's disappearance and starts questioning everything she ever knew about her friend.  This story had so many twists and turns it kept me reading and not wanting to put it down.  I have to say that there wasn't really much that surprised me but there was one twist nearer the end of the story that did and that was what made this great for me.  I read a lot of thrillers and I am always on the hunt for a good thriller that takes me off guard and has a twist ending that really surprises me.  This one did surprise me, that's for sure.


What I did not like in this story...

I would have loved to have a bit more surprise in the story.  As mentioned above, there are a lot of twists and turns in this story but most of them, for me, were easily anticipated.  I would have loved to have been thrown off course a few more times than it did.


In summary...
This was an interesting read that I couldn't stop reading.  A bit predictable but a great twist at the end that was worth it!








0 comments: