13 Oct 2018

, , ,

Re-Read Book Review / Wychwood by George Mann


 Elspeth May, a young female journalist who never seems to be in the right place at the right time, suddenly gets her big break only to find that no one will ever believe her story.

When a local woman is found murdered in her own home, slashed viciously across the throat, the police begin a manhunt of the surrounding villages, unsure exactly of who or what they are looking for. Elspeth, accidentally first on the scene, finds her interest piqued, and sets out to investigate the details surrounding the crime. In doing so she finds herself constantly battling against Peter Shaw, a police sergeant working on the case and under suspicion due to a terrible incident that occurred during a previous investigation. More murders follow, each of them adopting a similar pattern.

What links the victims? And why are some of the local people trying to cover things up?"





Published:     12th September 2017
Publisher:  Titan Books
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Book 45, In Death
Source:  Review Copy from Publisher 

Previous Review:  Click here




MY REVIEW

The first time I read this book I really enjoyed it (my previous review can be found in the link above).  I had the opportunity to be able to read and review the second book in this series, Hallowdene and thought that I had better re-read the first book just to remind myself of the characters and the world they were in.  I have to say that I enjoyed this book so much more the second time around!  Having been about a year since I last read this book, I did worry that I would remember a lot of the twists and the turns but I really didn't and that was a good thing.  It was like I was going into this book blind or reading it for the first time.

What I found the most enjoyable about this book was the mixture of thriller and what I describe as folklore.  There are some parts of this book that can easily be explained but there are a couple of 'incidents' that I just cannot explain how what happened, happened.  

If I had to describe this book in a few words I would call it an energetic thriller with a dash of fokelore mixed in.  This book has a very spooky feel to it and is a great book to pick up this time of year!!


 

0 comments: