18 May 2018

Author Interview and Excerpt / Eternity's Echoes by Evan Hirson



Aaron was a promising software designer with an upcoming company. He shared a quaint house on the outskirts of town with his best friends; another young man and two girls. 

They'd known each other since school, and lived together peacefully for years with few problems.
Travis the newcomer however had a dark way about him, and all of Aaron's attempts to get along with him had failed. 


But just as the household began to settle down again, a strange device with a peculiar attitude entered their lives.
Would it fulfill all of their dreams, or instead become a curse?






EXCERPT


A little while later they were again transported among the towering edifices of Egypt. As was usually the way, the Shade had selected a quiet uninhabited place to set them down.
As they emerged from a small storage building by the docks, the captivating sight took Aaron’s breath away. A golden yellow sun shone over the rippling waters of the Nile as a cool breeze swayed the palms. Sunbeams played on the water among a flotilla of barges and smaller boats.
“This is amazing,” said Mara with her eyes wide in wonder. “I’m so glad you insisted on coming in the morning Travis. It’s so much cooler too.”
“Great,” he unhappily replied. Even his attempt at sabotage had failed. In his dejected powerless state, he’d insisted on morning rather than evening. It’d been a weak attempt to devalue the experience for everyone.
Aaron soberly considered the way they should go, and wished he’d watched more documentaries on Egypt. “How about if we go that way,” he said choosing a direction at random.


AUTHOR INTERVIEW

1.  If you could work with any other author, who would it be and why?
Among contemporary writers, it would probably be Suzanne Collins. I like her character work.      .
 
2.  What would be a typical working day for you? When and where do you write?
I actually work in my room, which is my haven from the world.
If you've ever seen anyone pacing the room while they think, that's me all over.
The harder I think, the faster I walk. My typical work day depends on what is happening at the time. Learning to write fiction properly is a very steep learning curve.
It's taken me more than three years of long hours to get it the way I like it.

3.  What is the hardest part of the writing for you?
Probably just remaining focused on the work. I can turn out about 2 to 4 thousand words a day. That isn't so great compared to some writers. I've heard figures of 10 to 20 thousand a day being bandied about. On the positive side, the words I turn out don't         need much editing nowadays.

4.  When and why did you first start writing?
It was back in 2014. One chapter in my life had just ended, and the possibility to become a serious author opened up. It was a big risk, but I thought it was worth it.
 
5.  How did you come up with the idea for your book? 
Time travel is a sub genre that I've always enjoyed. It was just a natural choice to go in that direction. In my mind, the creation of a book is like planting a seed.
You begin with virtually nothing, and just keep adding to it. I always trust that my         imagination will come to the party, and so far it hasn't let me down.

6.  Are you a big reader? If so, what are you reading now?
I used to read a lot when I was younger, but not at this time. There just hasn't been     any room for it since I started writing.
   
7.  Do you have any advice for other aspiring writers?
First you should see a good psychiatrist. But seriously, you shouldn't start this            journey unless you're willing to give everything you've got. Do a lot of research         online about editing etc. When you think you know everything you need to know, go back and look again. Chances are that you've missed something.
    Get the opinions of others wherever possible, but make sure you read the terms of web sites. Most people in the industry are generally honest. It's the few who aren't that you have to watch out for. If in doubt, do a web search on the subject.
    It's a tough industry, and nobody will tell you everything you need to know. In some ways that's a good thing because it forces you to try harder.
    Just remember to enjoy the experience as much as you can. The more you write, the better your writing becomes.




0 comments: