26 Nov 2015

,

Book Review / The Witches by Roald Dahl

This is not a fairy-tale. This is about REAL WITCHES. Real witches don't ride around on broomsticks. They don't even wear black cloaks and hats. 

They are vile, cunning, detestable creatures who disguise themselves as nice, ordinary ladies. So how can you tell when you're face to face with one? Well, if you don't know yet you'd better find out quickly-because there's nothing a witch loathes quite as much as children and she'll wield all kinds of terrifying powers to get rid of them. 

Roald Dahl has done it again! Winner of the 1983 Whitbread Award, the judges' decision was unanimous: "funny, wise, deliciously disgusting, a real book for children. From the first paragraph to the last, we felt we were in the hands of a master".

Published:     9th January 1989
Publisher:  Puffin
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand Alone
Source:  Owned (Audio book)

I have read this book so many times I really cannot keep count!  The first time I read this book was when I was a young teen and loved it.  I loved it then and I loved it now.  I decided this time to try and listen to it on audio book rather than read it from a book.  In the past I have not found audio books worked for me but I wanted to give them another go with a book that I know I love and see whether that would change my mind.  I have to say that it did!  Whilst doing my housework on a rainy Saturday morning, I put this on and listened to the entire recording in one day.  By listening to it, I found there was an added creep factor that hadn't been there in the physical copy book.  I really enjoyed it and found that in between reading physical books and listening to audio books I might just be able to read a lot more than what I have been doing!  Anyway, back to this book!  This book has a lot of creepy aspects to it, including the witches themselves.  The witches in this book are really nasty horrible creatures who want to rid the world of children by killing them.  They decide really horrible ways of getting rid of them and are now moving on to bigger and better plans.

If you haven't read this before and like creepy witch stories, give this a go.  It might surprise you.  I would even go as far as to recommend the audio book if you want an extra creepy experience...





0 comments: