16 Nov 2015

Author Interview / Hilary Grossman

    How well do you really know the people in your life? 

    Annabel O’Conner has the perfect husband, two adorable children, an amazing job, and the mother from hell! Annabel doesn’t like it but has come to terms with the fact that her relationship with her mother, Bea, deteriorated to the point of forced and strained communications. However, an unscheduled call from Bea turns her world around and makes Annabel question everything she believed about her life.

    Despite the fact secrets, lies, and misplaced blame have destroyed the women’s relationship; Annabel reluctantly agrees to help Bea plan her wedding. Little does Annabel know the impact of her decision.

    In this Women’s Contemporary Fiction novel, Hilary Grossman explores the complex relationship that exists between mothers and daughters in a light-hearted and relatable manner.

  1. If you could work with any other author, who would it be and why? 
Without a doubt, Jen Lancaster! Not only is she my absolute favorite author, she is the reason I started writing. I hate to admit this, but before I read Bitter Is The New Black I had no idea what a blog or a memoir was. That book motivated me to stop dreaming about writing and actually start writing. In fact, I launched my blog days after finishing the book 

  1. What would be a typical working day for you? When and where do you write? 
I have the most non-author-like day job. I am a CFO of a beverage alcohol import and distribution company and my office is over an hour away from my home. So during the week I wake up at 5:30 to catch up on social media and blog. By the time I get home from work, I can barely see straight yet alone look at a computer. So I never write during the week. But I spent the weekends writing. I write at home. My first book, Dangled Carat I wrote at my dining room table. My second, Plan Bea, I wrote on my living room couch. I have only written a few chapters of Plan Cee I did so at the island in my kitchen.

  1. What is the hardest part of the writing for you? 
The hardest part of writing for me is finding the time. I wish there were more hours in a day so that I could write daily. I also wish I could figure out a way to have my laptop in the shower with me – because that is where I get the best ideas!

  1. When and why did you first start writing? 
I just checked my blog, and my first post was February 2010. I got to admit I’m shocked at how many years passed. Time sure does fly! Although I always wanted to write a book, and started many over the years, I never stuck it out. I started my blog to see if I had the wherewithal to actually keep at it. I also wanted to see if anyone would connect with my writing. I was shocked how much I enjoyed writing and how many amazing friendships I have developed as a result.

  1. How did you come up with the idea for the book your book? 
A couple of years ago, my neighbor and dear friend lost his wife of almost forty years to cancer. He met another woman, and fell in love with her. While it was difficult for me to see him with another lady, I loved seeing how happy he was. But more than that, he was almost like a new man. He did things with his second wife that he never did with his first. It got me thinking about the power of love and how a second chance relationship could change a person.

Plan Bea is about a mother and daughter whose relationship has been ruined by secrets, lies, and misplaced blame. Yet, when the mother, Bea, announces she is getting remarried, her daughter, Annabel, reluctantly agrees to help. Little did Annabel know the impact of her decision or the surprise that is in store for her.

  1. Are you a big reader? If so, what are you reading now? 
I am, although I read more in the summer than I do in the winter. I just started reading Jill Knapp’s latest book You’ll Find Me In Manhattan.

  1. Do you have any advice for other aspiring writers?
Just write. Don’t worry about anything besides telling your story.  The next steps – looking for an agent, publication, cover design, sales, etc – they will all work out… There are so many options available to authors now!  Also, I would advise to develop a thick skin and don’t take rejection personally.  If possible, gear yourself up for rejection and almost expect it.  The vast majority of first time authors will not be able to secure an agent.  Don’t let it discourage you…. Instead embrace the small victories along the way. And enjoy the small moments and remember, you are doing something that most people only dream of!

0 comments: