10 Nov 2015

,

Book Review / Silence is Goldfish by Annabel Pitcher

My name is Tess Turner - at least, that's what I've always been told.

I have a voice but it isn't mine. It used to say things so I'd fit in, to please my parents, to please my teachers. It used to tell the universe I was something I wasn't. It lied.

It never occurred to me that everyone else was lying too. But the words that really hurt weren't the lies: it was six hundred and seventeen words of truth that turned my world upside down.

Words scare me, the lies and the truth, so I decided to stop using them.

I am Pluto. Silent. Inaccessible. Billions of miles away from everything I thought I knew.

Tessie-T has never really felt she fitted in and after what she read that night on her father's blog she knows for certain that she never will. How she deals with her discovery makes an entirely riveting, heart-breaking story told through Tess's eyes as she tries to find her place in the world.


Published:     1st October 2015
Publisher:  Orion Children's Books
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Review Copy from Publisher

What I loved about this book... I have to say that this was a very interesting read for me.  It definitely dug a lot deeper emotional wise than I originally thought.  In this story we follow the main character Tess who discovers something shocking, so shocking that she retreats into silence as her way of coping.   There is a lot I can't say as I don't want to spoil the story for those of you who haven't read this one but this book deals with some hard hitting issues and I felt the author deal with them perfectly

What I was not fond of with this book...  In this story Tess has a certain way of communication when she in her silence zone and although I felt it was dealt with very well I did at times find it very confusing.

In summary...  I really enjoyed following Tess through her discovering what was on her father's computer, through her retreat into silence and what happens after that.  This book does deal with a couple of heavy subjects that I wasn't expecting but loved reading through.  I would highly recommend this as a good emotional read - perhaps one for the winter months?











0 comments: