29 Sept 2015

Author Interview / Brock Lance Richardson

Discover the spiritual warrior in you! Based on the belief that every soul has a spiritual warrior within, author Brock Lance Richardson interviews ten men he met through BYU football. 

Each reveals what it takes to become physically and spiritually strong, while their wives describe what it means to be a “warrior” for young women. 

Perfect for youth and young adults, this entertaining and spiritually uplifting read will teach you how to build spiritual stamina and to use your inner warrior for good.

To find out more about Latter-day Warriors, or to pre-order, please visit brocklancerichardson.com.  Release date into bookstores is December 8.


1.       If you could work with any other author, who would it be and why?
I actually believe that I DO get to work with the one author I would most want to work with.  My father, Lance Richardson, wrote a book about a near-death experience he had (“The Message” by Lance Richardson).  He has since passed, but I do believe that he works with me, and that we have actually written this book (Latter-day Warriors) together!  I’m so proud to say that I do believe my father has worked with me on this book!

2. What would be a typical working day for you? When and where do you write?
I am a Seminary teacher living in Springville, Utah, and I used to teach up in South Jordan, Utah.  The train was the cheapest mode of transportation, and I wrote the majority of this book during that time, for an hour on the way up to work, and an hour on the way home from work.  This was a special time for me, because I did indeed feel the presence of my father with me quite often on that train.

3. What is the hardest part of the writing for you?
This book is my first, and it involved interviews with ten men who I consider some of my greatest spiritual heroes.  Truly, the hardest part of writing was making sure I was doing justice to each of their unique and amazing stories.  So many times, I read a draft of a chapter and knew I hadn’t given an adequate amount of the Spirit to the relative person’s story.  I knew that I would have to pray like crazy, ask for the Spirit, and revise!

4. When and why did you first start writing?
My uncle, Matt Davis, was very close with my father during my father’s lifetime.  One day he approached me and said, “Your father wants you to write a book.”  This shocked me at first, but he shared spiritual experiences with me that helped me know that my father was still with me, and wanted me to carry on his “legacy” of writing.

5. How did you come up with the idea for the book?
As a Seminary teacher, I’ve noticed so many youth who’s countenances communicate their own greatness within.  This has been apparent for both youth who are active in the Gospel, and youth who are rebellious; I believe we can sense the “warrior spirit” within both types of youth.  I thought of what I could write in order to connect with Latter-day youth and their inner “warrior souls.”  It was then that I thought of Bronco Mendenhall, who was one of the greatest “spiritual warriors” I’ve ever known, and with him, we made a list of some of the spiritual leaders from the BYU football team.  This book consists of interviews with these men, their wives, and the resulting stories.  While I believe that my former teammates’ stories will really connect with the young men, I also believe that their wives’ stories about their high-school experiences will connect with the “inner warrior” in young women.

6. Are you a big reader? If so, what are you reading now?
I love to read with my wife.  We sometimes cuddle and read together when the kids are asleep.  The most recent book we read parts of together was Cleon Skousen’s “Days of the Living Christ.”

7. Do you have any advice for other aspiring writers?
Pray, pray, pray J.  The Spirit not only helps with spiritual things, but also with temporal, in my experience J.

0 comments: