27 Feb 2013

Book Reviews: A Witch in Love (Bk2) and A Witch Alone (Bk3) by Ruth Warburton (Winter Trilogy)

Below is an extract from the blurb to book 1 in the series, A Witch in Winter.  Please see below links to read the blurbs for book 2 and book 3 (so as not to contain spoilers in this post)
 
 Anna Winterson doesn't know she's a witch and would probably mock you for believing in magic, but after moving to the small town of Winter with her father, she learns more than she ever wanted to about power. When Anna meets Seth, she is smitten, but when she enchants him to love her, she unwittingly amplifies a deadly conflict between two witch clans and splits her own heart in two. She wants to love Seth, to let him love her – but if it is her magic that's controlling his passion, then she is as monstrous as the witch clan who are trying to use her amazing powers for their own gain.
Published:    Book 2, 5th July 2012 - Book 3, 7th Feb 2013
Publisher:  Hodder
Goodreads :  Book 2  Click here - Book 3  Click here

Series:  Book 2 and 3, Winter Trilogy
Source: Review Copies from Publisher

Review:   6 out of 10


As these are book 2 and 3 in the series, there are parts of these stories that I will not mention here as I do not want to spoil the story for those who have not read the trilogy yet.

What I loved about these books...
With the second and third book, I really enjoyed the mystery part of this story, trying to find out more secrets from the past and present and also trying to figure out who is behind certain things that are happening now which Anna has to face.  

What I was not so fond of with these books...
Although I did really enjoy this trilogy, by the time I came to the second and third book the series kind of became a bit 'same old same old'.  The predictability that was in the first book (which I liked) was still there in the second and third book and I did wish that at some point in the story there was going to be something that I was not expecting but that didn't happen.  Anna was a character that I really enjoyed in book 1 and still enjoyed following through book 2 and 3 although she has this tendency to be quite naive and easily led when I would have loved her character to have been stronger in some ways.

In summary...
This is a really good no frills trilogy.  Predictable but has great elements of mystery and action with a hint of history mixed in.

1 comments:

Krista Cubicleblindness said...

I have had my eyes on these books, I cannot wait to start this series. I have no idea when, but they are on my TBR list
Krista