29 Oct 2012

Author Interview: Catherine Mesick

Sixteen-year-old Katie Wickliff lives quietly in the small town of Elspeth's Grove, unaware of the troubled past that forced her grandmother to flee Russia with her when Katie was only a child. When people in the town begin to disappear, and Katie's own home is attacked by a terrifying creature, Katie and her grandmother return to Russia to find answers.

Pursuing them is the handsome William – who just might be a vampire. Katie discovers that William is indeed partially a vampire, but he is also one of the Sidh, an ancient clan whose members are gifted with great power – a clan to which Katie's long-deceased mother also belonged.

Soon, Katie discovers that her mother's seemingly natural death was actually murder, and she is forced to confront the question she wants to face the least: Is William her otherworldly protector, or is he the monster who killed her mother eleven years ago?



1. If you could work with any other author, who would it be and why?
Hi Debra! First, please allow me to say thank you for having me on your blog today :) If I could work with any other author, I would love to work with J.K. Rowling of Harry Potter fame. She has such a fertile imagination and such a strong, clear way of delineating characters. Working with her would be amazing.


2. What would be a typical working day for you? When and where do you write?

On a typical working day, I can work anywhere from 7 to 10 hours. I'll work a little less if things aren't going well, and I'll work a little more if things are going smoothly. I typically write at my desk in my office while listening to music, or I'll write in the living room with the T.V. on in the background.

3. What is the hardest part of the writing for you?

The hardest part for me is organization :) I tend to write ideas down on scraps of paper, the backs of envelopes, on napkins, etc. Then, when I need the scrap of paper -- or whatever it is -- I can't usually find it right away. So, I do lose some productive time while I'm looking for my notes!

4. When and why did you first start writing?

That's a great question! I'm pretty sure I started writing in elementary school. A teacher had us create little books using wide-ruled green writing paper that we stapled in the center -- and then we used a sheet of construction paper for the cover. I really loved making that first book, and then I kept making them on my own. I remember the first one I wrote was called Christina's Christmas, and it was about a girl who received a kitten for Christmas. I believe I actually wanted a kitten myself at the time.

5. How did you come up with the idea for the book your book?

My current book grew out of my love for Russian folktales -- and my love of folktales in general. I have always loved reading the stories that come from other cultures, and I thought it would be wonderful to bring elements from these stories to a new audience -- to bring them forward to a new place and time, so that way they wouldn't be lost.

6. Are you a big reader? If so, what are you reading now?

I am definitely a big reader! I have always liked "Golden Age" mysteries, and right now I am currently reading Towards Zero by Agatha Christie.

7. Do you have any advice for other aspiring writers?

My advice would be to write everyday -- even if it's just a sentence. If things aren't going well on a particular day, you certainly don't have to push yourself. But it's important to keep moving forward. You need to practice writing just like anything else. And you should write about things you like. If you're enjoying your work, then we'll enjoy it too! Thanks again for having me, Debra! This was a lot of fun!
 



0 comments: