21 Jul 2012

Book Review - Carnival Girl by Sonja Herbert

The only life little Sonja Francesco has ever known is traveling the carnival circuit and living with her five siblings in a tiny caravan home. The family never stays anywhere long enough for Sonja to make friends or develop roots. The only one in her family, Sonja always believed in God and wants to belong to a church.

At fourteen, Sonja meets the Mormon missionaries and develops a strong testimony of the truth of the Gospel. But can she live the commandments while traveling with the carnival and running one of the attractions every Sunday? Will it be possible for her to leave her family’s life behind and live the life she has always dreamed of?


Goodreads page here
Publisher:   Cedar Fort Inc
Release Date: 12th June 2012
Purchase it at:  Amazon UKAmazon USA

My Review -  10 out of 10

What an amazing memoir.  I really enjoyed reading this book.  I have to admit that I am not normally one to read Christian stories and have only read one or two but there was something about this book that intrigued me.  Right from the start, I was sucked into the life of a travelling family following Sonja's story living with her large family travelling with a Carnival and following her discover her religion right from the start when she was aged 8, which was the first time she leaned about Jesus.  Also following the story of Sonja's Mutti and how hard she had to work to raise her family was very inspiring.  Also, what made the story real for me was the little pictures that accompanied the story, which brought to live the people I was reading about, putting a face to the name.

I found this story to be truly inspiring and has definitely brought up some questions for me that I want to search for answers for.   For all you out there who are looking to read an inspiring story, I would definitely recommend this one. ..

Best wishes

Debs :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for a wonderful renew! I appreciate it a lot!

Debra's Book Cafe said...

Your welcome Sonja! Thanks for sharing with me your wonderful story... :-)

Anonymous said...

This sounds fabulous!!

I have a major love for carnival/circus stories!!