29 Apr 2012

Book Review - Yesterday by CK Kelly Martin

THEN: The formation of the UNA, the high threat of eco-terrorism, the mammoth rates of unemployment and subsequent escape into a world of virtual reality are things any student can read about in their 21st century textbooks and part of the normal background noise to Freya Kallas's life. Until that world starts to crumble.

NOW: It's 1985. Freya Kallas has just moved across the world and into a new life. On the outside, she fits in at her new high school, but Freya feels nothing but removed. Her mother blames it on the grief over her father's death, but how does that explain the headaches and why do her memories feel so foggy?

When Freya lays eyes on Garren Lowe, she can't get him out of her head. She's sure that she knows him, despite his insistence that they've never met. As Freya follows her instincts and pushes towards hidden truths, the two of them unveil a strange and dangerous world where their days may be numbered.

Unsure who to trust, Freya and Garren go on the run from powerful forces determined to tear them apart and keep them from discovering the truth about their shared pasts (and futures), her visions, and the time and place they really came from.


Goodreads Page is here.


My Review


5/10

The idea for this story is very interesting.  It's a mix of political/futuristic/ya that I had not read before.  I have to admit that this book was a little slow paced for me so it took me a little while to get into the story.  I would have to say that the first 1/3 of this book was lead up to the action that was going to take place later on in the story and although enjoyable to read, this was the part that was slow for me as I was waiting for all the action to take place.


This story was also based half in the future and half in the 80s.  Now, I was born in 1981 so a lot of the 80s is a bit of a blur for me as I was so young.  In the parts of this story that were in the 80s, there were lots of references to 80s people, music etc that I could not relate to and I think that is probably why it took me a while to get into the story.   


If I had to describe this story in a sentence, I would have to say that it is a puzzle that needs to be put back together.  Every step you take, you are given a little bit more information to fit into the puzzle and that is what I really enjoyed about this book.  It certainly kept me thinking all the way through trying to figure out what was going on.



For me, this was a mix of a very good storyline mixed with slow paced action.  I am glad that I stuck it out to finish it because this story had a good ending.

Best wishes

Debs :-)





 

0 comments: