3 Dec 2011

Book Review - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games 1)

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.



If you would prefer to see the video review, please see below.

What a great story...  I really enjoyed this book much more than what I thought I would.  For a while now I have seen this book everywhere, in you tube videos and blog reviews and hauls (and I believe it is now being turned into a movie which, after reading the book, I am very excited about...) so I thought I would pick it up and see what I thought of it.  

First of all, I absolutely love the cover that I picked up which is the same as the one in the picture above.  At first I was confused by the boy in the picture but after reading it, it must be Petra who is a character that is in the Hunger Games and also comes from the same District as Katniss.

One of the best aspects of this book for me was the character Katniss.  She is such a strong, determined character that I was hoping, from day one, that she would win..

This was such a great book and I am so that that I picked it up...

My Review - 7 out of 10



Best wishes
Debs :-)

3 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

We both loved this series and it sounds like you really liked THE HUNGER GAMES too. I loved the main character, Katniss. Just wondering why you only gave it a 7 out of 10 rating? I'd sure like to see a book you rated a 10! I don't think it gets much better than this.

Debra's Book Cafe said...

I took a few points away because this was a fanastic book but the middle let it down a bit for me... It could have done with a bit more spice in the middle... :-)

Jennifer Lane said...

I've never seen that cover before! I bet it is Peeta. I gave this book 10/10 stars. Fantastic.