30 Jun 2021

, , ,

Book Review / The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Firzgerald


 

 

Jay Gatsby is the man who has everything. But one thing will always be out of his reach. Everybody who is anybody is seen at his glittering parties. Day and night his Long Island mansion buzzes with bright young things drinking, dancing, and debating his mysterious character. For Gatsby---young, handsome, and fabulously rich---always seems alone in the crowd, watching and waiting, though no one knows what for. Beneath the shimmering surface of his life he is hiding a secret: a silent longing that can never be fulfilled. And soon this destructive obsession will force his world to unravel.

 

 

 

 


Published:    10th April 1925
Publisher:  Scribner
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Owned

 



MY REVIEW

 

I have been meaning to pick up this book for so long now.  I think it is because it is a 'classic' I think that it is going to be hard work to read it just like if you pick up a Dickins or something similar (which I have always struggled with in the past).  I am so glad that I picked this up. I had a thoroughly enjoyable time reading this book.

What surprised me, having deliberately not read up about anything in this book, that the story doesn't, in fact, follow Gatsby but actually follows another person and we see Gatsby through the eyes of that person, which made the both the story and the character of Gatsby so much more intriguing to me as you can't hear his thoughts or opinions but just what he portrays himself to be to others which probably adds to the mystique of the character.  There's no way to know his secrets until he wants to tell you about them.  

What also surprised me with this book was that there was a small element of complicated romance in this story as well and I have to say that this was the part that I did enjoy the most!

If you struggle to pick up a classic and want to start with something easier to read, easier to follow and a short read, give this one a go.  You won't be disappointed. 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comments:

bes unn said...


Nice post. I used to be checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely useful info particularly the ultimate section 🙂 I take care of such information a lot. I was seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.
Unfinished book pdf