15 Jan 2019

Series Review / The Immortals by Alyson Noel


The first book in Alyson Noël's extraordinary new Immortals series. Enter an enchanting new world, where true love never dies...

After a horrible accident claims the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever Bloom can see people's auras, hear their thoughts, and know someone's entire life story by touching them. Going out of her way to avoid human contact to suppress her abilities, she has been branded a freak at her new high school — but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste.

Damen is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy. He's the only one who can silence the noise and random energy in her head - wielding a magic so intense, it's as though he can peer straight into her soul. As Ever is drawn deeper into his enticing world of secrets and mystery, she's left with more questions than answers. And she has no idea just who he really is - or what he is. The only thing she knows to be true is that she's falling deeply and helplessly in love with him.


Published:     First published in 2009
Publisher:  Griffin
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Books 1 to 6, The Immortals
Source:  Owned



MY REVIEW

Now, this is a series that I first picked up several years ago but never completed.  I believe I got as far as book 5 when I gave up on the series, as I was no longer interested.  Despite that, this has been one of those book series that has always stayed at the back of my mind, wondering whether if I re-read this series and completed it, would I still feel the same about this series.

For me, this is definitely a series that you should go into without any expectations.  This was fun to read and everything is at face value, nothing really digging deep to think about here.  Although I did find Ever to be very self absorbed at times, I did want to root for her to find her happiness.  That said, as it became clear that there really wasn't any sub plots in this series and the only story to follow is the story of Ever and other characters in this book, I did get a little bit bored by just following her in her trek to find the solution to her problem.  I am deliberately being vague about this as I don't want to spoil the story for those who have not read it and want to read it but let's just say that this story is really only about one thing and that is really what you should expect going in.

This was a really fun series but not one that I would pick up again.  I really enjoyed the writing style and will certainly be picking up more by this author in the future but maybe not any more in this world.





0 comments: