20 Jan 2019

Book Review / The Runaway Jury by John Grisham



Every jury has a leader, and the verdict belongs to him. In Biloxi, Mississippi, a landmark tobacco trial with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake begins routinely, then swerves mysteriously off course.

The jury is behaving strangely, and at least one juror is convinced he's being watched. Soon they have to be sequestered. Then a tip from an anonymous young woman suggests she is able to predict the jurors' increasingly odd behavior.

Is the jury somehow being manipulated, or even controlled? If so, by whom? And, more importantly, why?






Published:     First Published in 1996
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Bought



MY REVIEW

Just as I had predicted when I first picked up this book, I loved it.  This was one of those thrillers that even though it had been written quite a number of years before it still stands up today.   As I work my way through reading John Grisham's novels, this being the latest read, this is one of my favourites so far.  It is one of those thrillers that, for me, was not fast paced or massively action backed but more laid back but full of twists and turns.  This more laid back thriller style matched perfectly with what was happening in the story and certainly made me sit back, relax and enjoy the ride, taking as long as I wanted with no need to hurry along.

I have to say that with this novel it is better to go into this not really knowing a great deal, only knowing the basics such as there is a trial and the jury is the main focus of it.   You certainly have a very small handful of main characters and a handful of other characters that form the 'background' to what is happening.  Even though I suspected what was going on, I still was rooting for a lot of the characters, even though maybe you were not supposed to!

A slow paced thriller with twists and turns all the way through you won't want to miss...







0 comments: