30 Oct 2012

Book Review: Velveteen by Daniel Marks

Velveteen Monroe is dead. At 16, she was kidnapped and murdered by a madman named Bonesaw. But that’s not the problem.

The problem is she landed in purgatory. And while it’s not a fiery inferno, it’s certainly no heaven. It’s gray, ashen, and crumbling more and more by the day, and everyone has a job to do. Which doesn’t leave Velveteen much time to do anything about what’s really on her mind.

Bonesaw.

Velveteen aches to deliver the bloody punishment her killer deserves. And she’s figured out just how to do it. She’ll haunt him for the rest of his days.

It’ll be brutal... and awesome.

But crossing the divide between the living and the dead has devastating consequences. Velveteen’s obsessive haunting cracks the foundations of purgatory and jeopardizes her very soul. A risk she’s willing to take—except fate has just given her reason to stick around: an unreasonably hot and completely off-limits coworker.

Velveteen can’t help herself when it comes to breaking rules... or getting revenge. And she just might be angry enough to take everyone down with her.


Goodreads Link:   Click here
Release Date:  9th October 2012
Publisher:  Delacort
Source:  Netgalley Review

My Review   (9 out of 10)

First off, I am absolutely loving this cover...  There is something definitely creepy looking about the woman in the picture and after reading the story I can understand why she has that look...  Brilliant...   

I really liked the writing style - a kind of creepy comedic style that I really enjoyed and found easy to get stuck into the story.  I really enjoyed most was the 'world building' in this story, purgatory is definitely somewhere I would not want to be stuck in... I have never read a story that has been based in purgatory before so this was a completely new topic for me.  There was a lot of description in this story was did help me understand more what was going on and how things 'played out' in purgatory.  I have to admit that I would have loved to have seen more of the story of Bonesaw. 

Velvet is an very feisty character.  She is a very head strong character and one that I was definitely wishing would 'come out on top' in the end, despite the fact that she was in purgatory...  In this story there is a little bit of a love interest type thing going on here, I won't say with who or when as I don't want to spoil it for those who have not read it yet. but I enjoyed seeing how that progressed throughout the story. 

This was a really great dark read, with a hint of comedy, that I would recommend, especially to those who like stories with a lot of description and background.    

Best wishes

Debs


2 comments:

Wanda (Good Choice Reading) said...

I wish I could say I enjoyed it but I DNF-ed it. Glad you were able to enjoy it.

titancia said...

It's tough to hear good things about this book! My sister read it and loved it--but said it's disturbing, so it's not something I really want in my head. :/
I'm going to keep my copy on a shelf and hope that one day I won't be so sensitive!