4 Jun 2017

,

Book Review / The Good Girl by Mary Kubica

I've been following her for the past few days. I know where she buys her groceries, where she works. I don't know the color of her eyes or what they look like when she's scared. But I will.

One night, Mia Dennett enters a bar to meet her on-again, off-again boyfriend. But when he doesn't show, she unwisely leaves with an enigmatic stranger. At first Colin Thatcher seems like a safe one-night stand. But following Colin home will turn out to be the worst mistake of Mia's life.

When Colin decides to hide Mia in a secluded cabin in rural Minnesota instead of delivering her to his employers, Mia's mother, Eve, and detective Gabe Hoffman will stop at nothing to find them. But no one could have predicted the emotional entanglements that eventually cause this family's world to shatter.

An addictively suspenseful and tautly written thriller, The Good Girl is a propulsive debut that reveals how even in the perfect family, nothing is as it seems.


Published:     29th July 2014
Publisher:  Harlequin MIRA
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Borrowed from Library





MY REVIEW

What I liked about this story...    A very interesting read.  I went into this book thinking that it was going to be a pretty normal thriller - woman gets kidnapped, goes through an ordeal and then either survives or gets killed.  This is not one of those stories.  There were quite a few twists and turns, some of which I was not expecting.  There's nothing better than a reading a story that keeps you on your toes, wondering what was going to happen next.  If I had to pick one thing that I liked the most, it would have to be the dynamic between Mia and Colin as the story goes it.  You think that it is not going to be that complicated but in fact it is.

What I didn't like about this story...  I would have loved for this to have been a bit more fast paced and a bit more action packed.   With it as it is, it just felt like it was missing something that I couldn't put my finger on...  But this has probably more to do with my expectations than anything else.  I had expected this to be fast paced with lots of punch packed in but in reality this is a really good thriller with more of a laid back style plot line that gradually grows as the story goes on. 


0 comments: