15 Feb 2014

Book Review / Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. 


As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. 

They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

Published:     7th June 2011
Publisher:  Quirk
Goodreads :  Click here
Series:  Book 1, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Source:  Review Copy from Publisher


What I loved about this story...

What I loved the most about this story is the history of the main character and history of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and how they are linked.  I loved how the truth about what is going on is revealed slowly and somehow I get the feeling that there is so much more to learn that I haven't yet.  I am very intrigued to find out what happens in the next book Hollow City, which I need to pick up soon! 

I also loved the fact that there were really creepy pictures throughout the book and when you are reading the story, the pictures matched in with what was happening with the story at that particular time.


What I was not fond of in this story...

If I had to pick up something, I would say that when I was reading the blurb I got the impression that this book would really creep me out and would be a book that I should read during the day(!) but the story was not as scary as I anticipated.


If you would like to check out the video review, please see below:



Best wishes
Debs :-)

0 comments: