10 Feb 2014

,

Book Review / Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha Van Leer

What happens when happily ever after... isn’t?

Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.

And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.

Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale.


Published:     5th July 2012
Publisher:  Hodder & Stoughton
Goodreads :  Click here
Series:  Not part of a series
Source:  Review Copy from Publisher
 


What I loved about this story...

What I loved the most about this book is both the viewpoints and the ending (don't worry, I won't put any spoilers in this review).  In this book, there are different viewpoints.  The one that I enjoyed the most was the viewpoint of Oliver inside the story, showing what happens when you are reading the book and also what happens when the book is closed, making it sound a bit like a theatre production where the characters are playing a part and once the book is closed they go back to being their 'normal' selves.  Loved it!

The ending is one thing that, obviously, I will not talk about too much so as not to spoil but all I will say is that the ending was not something that I was expecting and was completely surprising.

What I was not fond of with this story...

I have to admit that there really wasn't anything that I didn't like in this story.  The only think that I was not keen on was the actually physical book itself.  I had the English hard cover and the way it was put together made the book so heavy to hold it really did make my arms ache lol!


To check out the video review, please see below...



Best wishes

Debs :-)

0 comments: