29 Jun 2013

Book Review / Stung by Bethany Wiggins



In a world in crisis, children are the future. Part of the cure. Not now. Children are deadly. Marked one to ten. Fiona is a TEN. She just doesn't know it yet . . . She doesn't know her true strength. 

Fiona doesn't remember going to sleep. But she has woken to find her entire world has changed - her house is abandoned and broken, and her neighbourhood is barren and dead. Even stranger is the tattoo on her right wrist that she doesn't remember getting but somehow knows she must cover at any cost. And she's right. When the honeybee population collapsed, a worldwide pandemic occurred and the government tried to bio-engineer a cure. But instead the vaccination turned people into ferocious, deadly beasts. They have been branded as a warning to unvaccinated survivors. Key people needed to rebuild society are protected inside a fortress-like wall. Fiona has awakened branded, alone and on the wrong side of the wall . . .

Published:    4th July 2013
Publisher:  Bloomsbury
Goodreads :  Click here
Series:  Book 1, Stung
Source:  Bought
Review:   5 out of 10



What I loved about this book…

What I liked the most about the book is probably what I was not fond of most in this book and that is not knowing what is going on.  Talking about what I liked about it, I liked the mysterious start to the book where you see Fiona waking up and discovering that she is in a different world to the one that she remembered.  After waking up, you follow her journey as she tries to discover what is going on.  I liked that aspect of the story at the start, it was as if I was experiencing things as the story goes on just like the Fiona.

 I also enjoyed the ending of this story, it was a very surprising twist that made me intrigued to find out what happened next.

What I was not fond of about this book…

As I mentioned above, an aspect of this story that I did not get on well with was the mysterious aspect to the story.  Not really knowing what is going on.  Now that was ok at the beginning of the story when you want to discover things as the main character does, but when it gets to nearly halfway through the book and you still have no idea what is going on, with not even a hint, it frustrated me a bit.

There is a bit of romance in this book but I have to admit that I felt it happened far too quickly.  With the people that were in the ‘romantic situation’ I felt there should have been more history or at least a bit more of a romantic build up.  As an aside I do have to say that as this is the first in the series, there could be more history to come that I am not aware.

In summary…

I did enjoy the idea of the book and with the twist in the ending I am very intrigued to find out more but I did feel the romance side of it was a bit quick and there could have been more explanation as to what was going on before the middle of the book. 

Video Review...


Best wishes

Debs J


0 comments: