13 May 2013

Author Interview: Kristy Brown




Meet Kiera, a pretty, intelligent, and talented girl, brought up by her uncle, and abandoned by her parents. Life is as normal as she believes it to be, apart from the deep ache inside her, telling her she’s different. For years, Kiera has had dreams where she ventures into a different reality. She’s not alone; a presence is always there, keeping her safe, yet she feels vulnerable, and hunted.

Zakk, Prince of Zantar, is under the Witch Queen’s spell as she tries to take over his world. He crosses paths with Kiera, and their fates are entwined.

As their journey unravels, she learns that she is not the only one affected by this prince. Who is on her side? Will she find out why she has been chosen? How can someone so young, defeat such evil? Will she find the strength to save the ones closest to her? Will this be Kiera’s only quest?




1.  If you could work with any other author, who would it be and why?

If I could work with any other author, I would have to say Tolkien or Roald Dahl. They inspired me as a child and still do now! Their huge imaginations and humour is something I try to aspire to.

2.  What would be a typical working day for you? When and where do you write?

My typical working day. First I get my kids to school. I cannot work with noise. I need complete silence. I do my boring housework, then I may sit down and write at my table for two or three hours.

3.  What is the hardest part of the writing for you?

I think the hardest part of writing is the marketing! Getting your book noticed amongst the thousands of talented writers out there, is very hard.

4.  When and why did you first start writing?

I started writing poetry and short stories as a child. Then I trained as an actress and did small stage shows etc. But my real passion was writing. When my first son was born, I began writing the first book in the "Kiera's Quest" series. When he slept, I would scribble a few pages. Then I knew I had to follow my real dream.
 
5.  How did you come up with the idea for the book your book?

I came up with the idea for the book, whilst staring at my niece's doll's house. Read it and you will understand!
 
6.  Are you a big reader? If so, what are you reading now?

I am a big reader. If I'm not writing I try and read as much as possible. I like YA and MG. I have just bought "Everafter," by Elizabeth Chandler. I love "The Hunger Games," I shed a few tears with that!

7.  Do you have any advice for other aspiring writers? 

My advice for aspiring writers would have to be, believe in your book and someone else will! Do not give in at the first twenty rejections!




Links:
Amazon.co.uk
Twitter
Facebook
MuseItUp
Goodreads

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post; I liked it. I can't stand silence, especially when writing. I need background noise, whether a DVD playing on the TV, or music. Good luck with your writing, and have fun!

Stan
(MIU author)

Suzanne de Montigny said...

Very interesting to hear about the lives of fellow writers. Strangely, I always seem to envision my fellow writers as single and about 24 years old. I don't know why because they're usually not. It's always fascinating to find out they have children, or grandchildren, etc.