28 Mar 2020

, , ,

Book Review / Lock Every Door by Riley Sager

No visitors. No nights spent away from the apartment. No disturbing the other residents, all of whom are rich or famous or both. These are the only rules for Jules Larsen's new job as an apartment sitter at the Bartholomew, one of Manhattan's most high-profile and mysterious buildings. Recently heartbroken and just plain broke, Jules is taken in by the splendor of her surroundings and accepts the terms, ready to leave her past life behind.

As she gets to know the residents and staff of the Bartholomew, Jules finds herself drawn to fellow apartment sitter Ingrid, who comfortingly, disturbingly reminds her of the sister she lost eight years ago. When Ingrid confides that the Bartholomew is not what it seems and the dark history hidden beneath its gleaming facade is starting to frighten her, Jules brushes it off as a harmless ghost story—until the next day, when Ingrid disappears.

Searching for the truth about Ingrid's disappearance, Jules digs deeper into the Bartholomew's dark past and into the secrets kept within its walls. Her discovery that Ingrid is not the first apartment sitter to go missing at the Bartholomew pits Jules against the clock as she races to unmask a killer, expose the building's hidden past, and escape the Bartholomew before her temporary status becomes permanent.


Published:     2nd July 2019
Publisher:  Dutton
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Owned



MY REVIEW

How could I not pick up another book by this author!  Having just read The Last Time I Lied,  I needed to read more from this author and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest!

In this story we follow Jules who is very down on her luck.  Her parents having died a while back with her sister also having disappeared a while back before that, her boyfriend cheating on her and she's lost her job.  Things could not get any worse for her - or could they?  Jules sees an advert for an appartment sitter.   Its only when she arrives that she discovers that it is the Barthlomew, which is one of Manhattan's most high profile buildings but it also holds secrets.

I could not put this down. I picked this up one Sunday morning after waking earlier than I had intended and wanted to treat myself to some early morning reading time - something of a rarity for me but one that I love.    What I have learned is that this author knows his stuff when it comes to suspense and building characters.  With every page turned, you get a little bit closer to finding out what is going on and a little bit closer to the realisation that the character is probably going to be in trouble soon...  As with The Last Time I Lied, I went into this story blind only knowing the cover and the author.  For me, this was most certainly the best way to go.

I think I am probably going to end up saying this after every book I read from this author but you need to read this!  Now! :-)





0 comments: