21 Jul 2018

, ,

Series Review / Blue Bloods Series by Melissa de la Cruz


When the Mayflower set sail in 1620, it carried on board the men and women who would shape America: Miles Standish; John Alden; Constance Hopkins. But some among the Pilgrims were not pure of heart; they were not escaping religious persecution. Indeed, they were not even human. They were vampires.The vampires assimilated quickly into the New World. Rising to levels of enormous power, wealth, and influence, they were the celebrated blue bloods of American society.

The Blue Bloods vowed that their immortal status would remain a closely guarded secret. And they kept that secret for centuries. But now, in New York City, the secret is seeping out. Schuyler Van Alen is a sophomore at a prestigious private school. She prefers baggy, vintage clothes instead of the Prada and pearls worn by her classmates, and she lives with her reclusive grandmother in a dilapated mansion. Schuyler is a loner...and happy that way. Suddenly, when she turns fifteen, there is a visible mosaic of blue veins on her arm. She starts to crave raw food and she is having flashbacks to ancient times. Then a popular girl from her school is found dead... drained of all her blood. Schuyler doesn't know what to think, but she wants to find out the secrets the Blue Bloods are keeping. But is she herself in danger?


Published:     First published in 2006
Publisher:  Hyperion
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Books 1 to 6, Blue Bloods
Source:  Owned Copies



MY REVIEW

I first started reading this series many years ago but it was one of those series that, at the time, there were only three or four books out at the time and I had read those but waiting for the next one to be published.  However, I never continued to read the series not because I wasn't interested but because so much time had passed that I had simply forgotten what had happened before that meaning that I would have to re-read the entire series.  These days I tend to only pick up series if either I know the final book in the series has been published or it is a series that I know I will immediately be picking  up the next book in that series as and when it came out. 

This book series was just as fun as I had remembered it to be.  There's nothing complicated about this series and is simply a fun read that you can easily pick up and digest either over a period of time or in the summer when you might not want to pick and read any 'heavier' style novels.  What I loved the most about this series is the history.  The main story throughout this series is that you have an event that happens back in the days of the Mayflower and the actions that happened then might just be coming back around now many many years later.  You also have quite a number of characters in this book but because of the great writing it was very easily to keep on track with who was who and who was up to what (when you were told of course!).  By far my favourite character in this series was Mimi.  I won't go into too much detail about who she is because I don't want to spoil any part of the story for those who have not yet read it yet but she is most definitely the most interesting character I came across in this series.  She starts from being someone who I really dislike, almost with a passion, and the goes through quite a lot throughout the series which changed my mind about her. 

If I had to be picky, I would say that I would have loved there to have been a few more surprises along the way.  Most of the twists and the turns were although fun to follow was predictable for me.  Nevertheless, this was an eventful and enjoyable read that I would highly recommend. 

0 comments: