7 Aug 2016

,

Book Review / Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by JK Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne



Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.




Published:     31st July 2016
Publisher:  Little Brown

Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Book 8, Harry Potter
Source:  Owned



MY REVIEW

What I loved about this story...   I have been anticipating reading this book for so long that the very minute I bought it I sat down and read it but it has been a few days since I have finished it that I am now writing my review.  This was one of those books that I had to think about it a bit before putting my thoughts into this post.  What I loved the most was the fact that I was able to revisit this world and get back in touch with all of the characters left behind in book 7, which I read many many years ago.  I decided not to re-read the first books as I felt I knew the story well enough to be able to pick this right up and I did.  There wasn't a single part in this book where I thought I couldn't remember what had happened before.  I also loved the format of the book, written in script rather than in novel format.  I did think that I might have struggled to read the story in this format but I had no problems whatsoever, I even found it a lot easier to follow the story with the extra stage directions etc... 

What I didn't like about this story...  Unfortunately, there were a few things that I didn't particularly enjoy.  The first being the storyline.  Even though I liked the muddle some of the characters get into, I couldn't really understand why they had to do what they did in the first place only for the fact that one of the children was unhappy and wanted to do something about it without thinking about the consequences.  I also didn't like the fact that in this story I felt the older Harry came across as completely different - he was more unhappy and grumpy and not a very likeable character to me.  I would have loved to have seen him more like his old self but with more age experience maybe.  

In summary...   A really great quick read and worth picking up but I would have loved to have seen a bit more from the story than was there.  



 

0 comments: