22 Feb 2016

,

Book Review / Can You Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella

Meet Emma Corrigan, a young woman with a huge heart, an irrepressible spirit, and a few little secrets: 

Secrets from her boyfriend: I've always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. Secrets from her mother: I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom with Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben-Hur. Secrets she wouldn't share with anyone in the world: I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is. 

Until she spills them all to a handsome stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stranger.…

Until Emma comes face-to-face with Jack Harper, the company's elusive CEO, a man who knows every single humiliating detail about her...






Published:     27th December 2005
Publisher:  Dell
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Owned


My Review

What I loved about this story...  This story brought so much back to me.  The first time I read this story was pretty much after it had come out, around 10 years ago, so it has been a while but starting to read this book again I could remember mostly everything about it and I loved that.  I loved the fact that I knew what was going to happen next.  In almost everything that Sophie Kinsella has written that I have read I have found her writing to be funny, laugh out loud hilarious but has undertones of seriousness underneath.  With this story you have Emma who has family issues as well as many other issues which she 'reveals all' to the man on the plane so its not really surprising that it seems as though she is nearly on the edge of having some kind of 'episode', hence what happens on the plane.  If I have to pick one thing that I liked the most about this book, I would have to choose a part of this book that is only touched upon for a bit of the book but speaks volumes to the character of Emma and that is her relationship with her parents and her 'sister'.  I have used the speech marks for a reason and that becomes clear when you read the book.  I particularly liked that part of the story as there is clear conflict which gets resolved in one way or the other nearer the end of the book.  

What I was not fond of with this story....  Honestly there is one part of this book that I really did not like at all and that was something that happens near the end of the book (and I won't go into too much detail here as I don't want to spoil the story for those who have not read it yet) but there is one particular character who takes matters into their own hands and I completely disagreed with the way in which it was dealt with and the fact that this scene was in the book I found to be completely irrelevant and didn't need to be there. 

In summary...  Just love Sophie Kinsella (apart from the Shopaholic series, which is not a series that I particularly enjoyed very much as I found the main character to be quite selfish and irritating so did not continue with the series past book 1).  I love the way she makes me laugh and cry - sometimes both at the same time!  I have been collecting her books and now have all of her stand alone novels ready to read this year.  I can't wait to get to each one.  If you are looking for an easy read that is funny but at the same time has a great story, you definitely need to pick this one up!


0 comments: