5 Aug 2018

, ,

Book Review / Madman Walking by L.F. Robertson




Appellate lawyer Janet Moodie is called in to work on a post-conviction investigation on a sordid murder-for-hire case. The client is uncooperative, likely schizophrenic, although he's never let a psychiatrist near him long enough to get a diagnosis. 

Convicted of arranging the shooting of a drug dealer, under orders from the Aryan Brotherhood, Howard Henley is not an easy case, and even on death row he doesn't seem to understand the severity of his situation. It is up to Janet to discover just what was done and by whom, and to determine whether to risk putting her client on trial again...





Published:     15th May 2018
Publisher:  Titan Books
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Book 2, Janet Moodie
Source:  Review Copy from Publisher



MY REVIEW

After reading and thoroughly enjoying this author's first book in this series (Two Lost Boys), I was really excited about digging into this book.  Yes, this is book 2 in a series but I will say that I don't think there is a need to read these in order if you wanted to pick this book up independently and not pick up the first book first.

In this story, we follow Janet Moodie who is a lawyer who after the death of her husband retreats to a 'cabin in the wilderness'  but doesn't cut off all life on the outside world as she continues to work as a lawyer and take on clients.  She then receives a call from an old lawyer friend who wants her to be the second lawyer in a case that he has picked up.  At first, this looks like a guy who is on death row and deserves to be but as we follow Janet and her fellow lawyer investigate this things are not what they seem.  Obviously, there is a lot that I could say but won't because of spoilers but what I will say was that this story was full of twists and turns and I had plenty of suspects going through the story.   For me, the best part of this story was finding out more about the legal system and processes when someone is on death row.

If I had to be picky, I would have loved to have had a bit more surprise and twists and turns that were out of the blue but that doesn't mean that I didn't really enjoy this story as much as I did.  I can't wait to pick up the next book in this series, or the next book from this author...










0 comments: