5 Sept 2017

,

Book Review / Moonrise by Sarah Crossan


'They think I hurt someone.
But I didn't. You hear?
Coz people are gonna be telling you
all kinds of lies.
I need you to know the truth.'

From one-time winner and two-time Carnegie Medal shortlisted author Sarah Crossan, this poignant, stirring, huge-hearted novel asks big questions. What value do you place on life? What can you forgive? And just how do you say goodbye?


Published:     7th September 2017
Publisher:  Bloomsbury
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Review Copy from Publisher




MY REVIEW

What I liked about this story...  I wasn't sure what I was getting into reading this book.  I really wasn't prepared for how heartbreaking this story would be.  I can't tell you how much I cried reading this and that was not just for the ending.  This was the first time I have read a novel which is written solely in verse.  With that and the plot, it just made this book such an emotional read for me.   You have Ed who is on death row, scheduled to be executed any time now.   Joe is Ed's brother who travels to where Ed is to see him again.  For me, the best part of this story was following Joe and Ed, see how they get along and find out what happened in the past although some of the facts are kept vague so you can come to your own conclusion.  I really wanted to wish all the best for Ed but at the same time wondering did he do what he was on death row for?  With this book, you also get to see the effects of death row on the family around the prisoner.   That, for me, was the best part of this novel. 

What I didn't like about this story...  This story gives you the choice of whether Ed committed the crime or not.  He must have done because he was on death row or he can't have done because of this, that and the other.  Although not knowing but make me think more about the story, I would preferred to have had a definate answer and be able to concentrate on the effects of what was happening with Ed's family. 



0 comments: