11 Sept 2017

, ,

Book Review / The Mayfly by James Hazel


It's happening again.

A mutilated body discovered in the woods.
A murderous plan conceived in the past.
A reckoning seventy years in the making . . .


Charlie Priest, ex-detective inspector turned London lawyer, is hired by influential entrepreneur Kenneth Ellinder to investigate the murder of his son. But Priest is no ordinary lawyer. Brilliant, yet flawed, this case will push him, and those closest to him, to the edge.

Priest traces the evidence back to the desperate last days of the Second World War. Buried in the ashes of the Holocaust is a secret so deadly its poison threatens to destroy the very heart of the establishment.
With more victims going missing, Priest realises that not everyone should be trusted. As he races to uncover the truth, can he prevent history from repeating itself?


Published:     15th June 2017
Publisher:  Bonnier Zaffre
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Book 1, Charlie Priest
Source:  Review Copy from Publisher



MY REVIEW

At 432 pages long it is not a short book but that didn't stop me from picking it up one Sunday morning and not stop reading until I reached the final page, only stopping for lunch!  Every time I thought I should put the book done and do something productive, I turned the page and someting else happened that made me keep reading!

We follow Charlie Priest as he investigates a murder that is far more complicated than he had ever imageined.  Stretching as far  back as the second world war.  If this had just been a murder mystery without the WWII element to it, it would have been an ok read for me.  It was the sense of history catching up to the present that kept me reading, not wanting to put this book down.

The suspense in this book, for me, was high calibre (along with the rest of the book).  It was the one of the main reasons I kept reading.  I had to know what happened next and what would happen at the end not to mention having to figure out the characters and their motives, which was hard enough as I was never sure if the person I am reading about is who they say they are.  And that ending...  What a twist!

James Hazel is now a must read author for me.  I can't wait to read more!




0 comments: