9 Jul 2017

,

DNF / America Pacifica by Anna North

Eighteen-year-old Darcy lives on the island of America Pacifica--one of the last places on earth that is still habitable, after North America has succumbed to a second ice age. Education, food, and basic means of survival are the province of a chosen few, while the majority of the island residents must struggle to stay alive. The rich live in "Manhattanville" mansions made from the last pieces of wood and stone, while the poor cower in the shantytown slums of "Hell City" and "Little Los Angeles," places built out of heaped up trash that is slowly crumbling into the sea. The island is ruled by a mysterious dictator named Tyson, whose regime is plagued by charges of corruption and conspiracy. 

But to Darcy, America Pacifica is simply home--the only one she's ever known. In spite of their poverty she lives contentedly with her mother, who works as a pearl diver. It's only when her mother doesn't come home one night that Darcy begins to learn about her past as a former "Mainlander," and her mother's role in the flight from frozen California to America Pacifica. Darcy embarks on a quest to find her mother, navigating the dark underbelly of the island, learning along the way the disturbing truth of Pacifica's early history, the far-reaching influence of its egomaniacal leader, and the possible plot to murder some of the island's first inhabitants--including her mother.


Published:     1st May 2011
Publisher:  Little Brown
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Library
Pages Read before DNF: 120



Why didn't I finish this book?

This book has been on my TBR list since it was published back in 2011, so over 6 years.  Since joining back up with the library this was one of the first ones I definitely wanted to check out.  I had such high hopes for this one and I am really sad that I just could not get into it.  I read more than what I would normally when I'm not enjoying a book, the main reason being that I really wanted to love this book.  This book had a very slow start, little explanation on the world they were living in and little explanation of Darcy and her mother.  Now, this may have been deliberate and the story gets going in the second half of the book but to be honest by the point I had got to I had just lost interest. 








0 comments: