22 Nov 2016

,

Book Review / I Let You Go by Clare Macintosh






In a split second, Jenna Gray's world descends into a nightmare. Her only hope of moving on is to walk away from everything she knows to start afresh. Desperate to escape, Jenna moves to a remote cottage on the Welsh coast, but she is haunted by her fears, her grief and her memories of a cruel November night that changed her life forever.

Slowly, Jenna begins to glimpse the potential for happiness in her future. But her past is about to catch up with her, and the consequences will be devastating . . .







Published:     3rd May 2016
Publisher:  Berkley
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand Alone
Source:  Owned

 


MY REVIEW

What I liked about this story...  This story was such a rollercoaster of emotions for me, unfortunately the scale weighed on the negative side more than the positive side but I'll talk about the negative section below.  Now, some of the positives.  There were a few parts of this story that I found interesting to read.  I say interesting rather than good because of the nature of the story line (which I won't go into because of spoilers but let's just say that there is a very sensitive subject tackled as one of the main points in this story).  I also particularly liked following the police side of the story where they are investigating the main crime in question in this story.  Its not often that I come across a detective story where the detectives are down on their luck with investigating a particular story they may have to close the case without solving it.  I found that interesting to read about and follow the detectives on how they deal with that.  For me, the best part of the story was the last bit which was jam packed full of action. 

What I didn't like about this story... Unfortunately now for the parts of this story that I wasn't too keen on.  Firstly, the storyline.  This is one of those stories that takes a while for the story to build up before you get to something that really makes you perch on the edge of your seat.  For me, that point came about three quarters of the way through so I have to admit that I was getting a bit bored at the beginning of the story.  There was also the back story of the main detective on the case that  I didn't particularly enjoy.  At certain parts of the story we saw glimpses of his home life with his wife who he struggles to get on with because he works so much to his son who is clearly having a lot of issues and is acting up.  To me, that part of the story was completely unnecessary.  Apart from a pivotal point where something happens with his son which it makes the detective realise something about the case that he was working on, I didn't think that part was necessary.

0 comments: