18 Oct 2016

,

Book Review / Everywhere I Look by Helen Garner




Spanning fifteen years of work, Everywhere I Look is a book full of unexpected moments, sudden shafts of light, piercing intuition, flashes of anger and incidental humour. It takes us from backstage at the ballet to the trial of a woman for the murder of her newborn baby. It moves effortlessly from the significance of moving house to the pleasure of re-reading Pride and Prejudice.

Everywhere I Look includes Garner's famous and controversial essay on the insults of age, her deeply moving tribute to her mother and extracts from her diaries, which have been part of her working life for as long as she has been a writer. Everywhere I Look glows with insight. It is filled with the wisdom of life.





Published:     29th March 2016
Publisher:  Text Publishing Company
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Review Copy from Publisher



MY REVIEW

What I liked about this book...  Oh this book was good....   I have to admit that I had not heard of this author before but I do love reading biographies and memoirs and this one just intrigued me.  I am so happy that I read this.  Helen's humorous wit throughout this book was intriguing to read.  This book is more about little snippets of Helen's life, written at the time but collated in this book.  I loved and appreciated her honesty in certain situations and took a lot out of this book in terms of reading about her experiences and opinions in life. 

What I didn't like about this book...  If I had to be picky I would have loved the book to have had some sort of time line to it rather than jumping from one year to the next and then back a couple of years and then forward.  I think that says more about me than the actual book itself.  I am just one of those people who likes things in order and enjoys things more when they are like that.  But that is just me being picky, I enjoyed this book immensely and would not hesitate to recommend this to everyone!

In summary... 

 

0 comments: