30 Mar 2015

, ,

Author Interview / Nadine Matheson

I told you people only run away from bad relationships and debts and Lucinda’s running away from both." 

Richard always knew that there was something special about his four daughters, Lucinda, Jessica, Beatrice and Emma. He knew that his instincts had been right when Lucinda, Jessica and Beatrice LeSoeur formed the group ‘Euterpe’ and became one of the most successful British R’n’B girl groups of the 1990s. Whilst Euterpe are riding the waves of success Lucinda controversially and surprisingly leaves and moves to New York to seek her own fame and fortune. Now, nearly 20 years later, Lucinda is back for a not so happy family reunion. 


Career failure, divorce and financial ruin sends Lucinda and her two children packing and on the first plane back to London. 

Jessica couldn’t quite leave the showbiz life behind and now runs a successful PR agency. When her second husband surprises her with divorce papers and she finds herself fighting public humiliation for the second time in her life, what she doesn’t need is the arrival of her older sister who she hasn’t spoken to after an explosive argument five years ago. 

Beatrice ran away as far she could from the music business, fully embracing her new roles as mother, wife and career woman. Always the mediator and the sister who wants to please, she’s excited about the return of Lucinda but is also anxious about the drama that she knows Lucinda will inevitably bring. 

Emma was too young to be part of the group but she has always been part of her sister’s lives. Strong willed but with her own insecurities, her instincts tell her that there is more to Lucinda’s return and she is determined to find out the truth.

     

   

      The Sisters
   

 
 
 
    




1. If you could work with any other author, who would it be and why?

Marian Keyes. What I love about her books is that she’s not afraid to tackle challenging issues. She’s an honest writer and that is what really shines through in her writing. She’s also really approachable and always replies on twitter. I admire her because she’s continued to fight through her own personal struggles and still produce amazing books.

2. What would be a typical working day for you? When and where do you write?

As well as being a writer, I’m a criminal defence lawyer so a typical working day would usually begin with a trip to the Crown Court. Once I’m home (on a good day at 1pm) I’ll try and get the admin stuff out of the way first and then start writing. I will probably spend 4 to 5 hours writing. However, I’m not one of those writers who can write until the early hours of the morning. Even when I was at Uni, I think that I pulled an all-nighter once. My brain stops working at 10pm. I always write in the guest room/office in my house. It’s a lovely space to work in because it’s bright and the sunlight streams through but when the weather warms up I also work in my garden. I’ve always got the radio on when I work, mainly listening to BBC London or Itunes on shuffle mode.

3. What is the hardest part of the writing for you?

The hardest part was fitting my writing around a full time job that took up not only my evenings but also my weekends. Now that I’m freelance, I’m able to organise my time more efficiently and not feel as though I’m trying to cram in writing time. Now, the hardest part of writing is trying to silence my inner critic. Honestly, this afternoon I could write an amazing chapter and the next day the inner critic will come out and tell me that it’s a load of rubbish. I’ve called my inner critic Deliliah and I’m learning to ignore her.

4. When and why did you first start writing?

I first committed myself to writing a book way back in 2002, when I worked at the BBC. I’d written stories but they were false starts and there’s a saying that ‘life got in the way’. I was working full time, attending law school and then training to be a lawyer so that first book took forever to finish. It’s actually still languishing in a draw in my writing room and someday I’ll return to it.

5.How did you come up with the idea for your book?

I came up with the character of Lucinda after watching an episode of ‘Real Housewives of Atlanta.’ There was one character that drove the flash cars and had the amazing bags but the reality was that she was skint but she still acted as though she had it all. It was all a façade. I thought it would be an interesting idea to see how someone would cope with the real world when they had given up their financial independence. Initially it was just going to be a story about a group of four friends but then I had the idea that these women were once in a girl band and then I thought that it would be even better if they were sisters. My mum likes to think that she and my aunts were the inspiration for the book but as I keep reminding her, the last time I checked, she was never in a girl band.

6. Are you a big reader? If so, what are you reading now?

I love to read. My ‘To Read Pile’ is absolutely ridiculous. I think that including my kindle and my bookshelf that I probably have thirty books waiting to be read. At the moment I’m reading ‘Our Fair Eden’ by Harry Manners and ‘One Night in Italy’ by Lucy Diamond.

7. Do you have any advice for other aspiring writers?

Have a plan. You don’t have to stick to the plan rigidly but you need to have some idea about the beginning, middle and end of your story. Also, just keep writing and ignore anyone who asks you ‘Have you finished yet?



0 comments: