15 Jan 2012

Book Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (Book 3, Hunger Games)

Below is the blurb for the first book in the series The Hunger Games.  If you would like to read the blurb for Mockingjay (book 3), please click here

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love
.


If you would prefer to see the video review, please see the end of this post.

When I first heard about the Hunger Games and read/saw all the hype surrounding it, I have to confess that I really wasn't sure that this series was for me.  After a little while, the story did intrigue me and I thought I would give it a go and I am so glad that I did.  This is a series that I really enjoyed, from start to finish. 


Throughout the whole series, including this final book, there were so many twists and turns that I was not expecting it kept me on my toes.  Following Katniss through her journey in the Hunger Games and beyond was mesmerising.  What a strong character, perfect for this storyline and a character that I was always voting for to make it through the other side. 


With this final book, there are a few twists and turns, definately action packed with a few moral dilemmas thrown into the mix, I loved it.


For all of you who have not tried The Hunger Games yet and are unsure, give it a try and you might just be surprised what you think of it....  



Best wishes

Debs :-)

0 comments: