18 May 2011

Book Review - The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen


The Girl Who Chased the Moon: A Novel 
Number of Pages  - 257
Publisher - Hodder & Stoughton
My Review - 10 out of 10


Emily Benedict has come to Mullaby, North Carolina, hoping to solve at least some of the riddles surrounding her mother’s life. But the moment Emily enters the house where her mother grew up and meets the grandfather she never knew, she realizes that mysteries aren’t solved in Mullaby, they’re a way of life: Here are rooms where the wallpaper changes to suit your mood. Unexplained lights skip across the yard at midnight. And a neighbor, Julia Winterson, bakes hope in the form of cakes, not only wishing to satisfy the town’s sweet tooth but also dreaming of rekindling the love she fears might be lost forever. Can a hummingbird cake really bring back a lost love? Is there really a ghost dancing in Emily’s backyard? The answers are never what you expect. But in this town of lovable misfits, the unexpected fits right in.



I always have to wonder how Sarah Addison Allen makes her books so magical.  Sometimes, its not actual magic that you are reading about but you could almost smell it in the air.  Everytime I sit down to read one of her books, I always feel like I have been swept away on a wave of mystical beauty and never actually released until the very last word.

I adore this book.  Firstly, I absolutely love the cover.  The copy that I have is hard back and does not have a dust jacket.  The illustrations are right on the cover and looks to incredably pretty.  The illustrations on the chapter headings and also on the back (to see these please see the video below) are so beautiful it draws you in immediately.  

This story had just the right dash of mystery and romance that I love to read all about.  I loved to read about the relationship between Emily and the grandfather she never knew she had but I do have to say that the most interesting for me was Julia, her 'bakery' and her past...

This was a truly magical story that I just could not put down....  If you would prefer to see my video review, please see below...



Best wishes

Debs

 

2 comments:

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

Hi debra thanks for looking at my review. alot of people say they will "check out your post", but don't, so thanks. I didn't even know you had a blog as well so i am following that now too.

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

Hi, again. There is a tab right at the top for blogspot users, that says follow on the left hand side. I didn't have a "follow" gadget, but I decided to add one so that everyone can follow, not just blogger uses. It's on the right hand side under "about the blog" thanks.