18 Sept 2021

,

Book Review / Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo

Galaxy “Alex” Stern is the most unlikely member of Yale’s freshman class. Raised in the Los Angeles hinterlands by a hippie mom, Alex dropped out of school early and into a world of shady drug dealer boyfriends, dead-end jobs, and much, much worse. By age twenty, in fact, she is the sole survivor of a horrific, unsolved multiple homicide. Some might say she’s thrown her life away. But at her hospital bed, Alex is offered a second chance: to attend one of the world’s most elite universities on a full ride. What’s the catch, and why her?

Still searching for answers to this herself, Alex arrives in New Haven tasked by her mysterious benefactors with monitoring the activities of Yale’s secret societies. These eight windowless “tombs” are well-known to be haunts of the future rich and powerful, from high-ranking politicos to Wall Street and Hollywood’s biggest players. But their occult activities are revealed to be more sinister and more extraordinary than any paranoid imagination might conceive.

 

 

Published:    8th October 2019
Publisher:  Flatiron Books
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Book 1, Alex Stern
Source:  Bought

 


MY REVIEW

 

OK, so yes this is a hyped up book that I try not to pick up all too often but the story just intrigued me too much that I had to pick it up.  I hadn't realised that this was going to be a series when reading this but that makes sense now given the ending.  

What I wasn't fond of with this book was the pacing.  With a story like this I was expecting there to be lots of twists and turns, lots of action and the story being fast paced.  Yes there are twists and turns and a bit of action but the story was, for me, very slow paced.  It made me slow down which was good in one way but when what I wanted was fast paced action it made me less excited.

What I enjoyed the most was the mysteries that are discovered in this novel.  I have always liked a good mystery and hidden secrets.  There are certainly a few twists and turns in this novel.  Although I felt that Alex was a bit haphazard in some of her investigating, I enjoyed following her around and discovering things the same time as she did.

Although I am intrigued to find out what happens next with book 2, honestly I probably won't pick it up. 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

0 comments: