22 Mar 2018

, ,

Book Review / Dark in Death by JD Robb

It was a stab in the dark.

On a chilly February night, during a screening of Psycho in midtown, someone sunk an ice pick into the back of Chanel Rylan’s neck, then disappeared quietly into the crowds of drunks and tourists in Times Square. To Chanel’s best friend, who had just slipped out of the theater for a moment to take a call, it felt as unreal as the ancient black-and-white movie up on the screen. But Chanel’s blood ran red, and her death was anything but fictional.

Then, as Eve Dallas puzzles over a homicide that seems carefully planned and yet oddly personal, she receives a tip from an unexpected source: an author of police thrillers who recognizes the crime—from the pages of her own book. Dallas doesn’t think it’s coincidence, since a recent strangulation of a sex worker resembles a scene from her writing as well. Cops look for patterns of behavior: similar weapons, similar MOs. But this killer seems to find inspiration in someone else’s imagination, and if the theory holds, this may be only the second of a long-running series.

The good news is that Eve and her billionaire husband Roarke have an excuse to curl up in front of the fireplace with their cat, Galahad, reading mystery stories for research. The bad news is that time is running out before the next victim plays an unwitting role in a murderer’s deranged private drama—and only Eve can put a stop to a creative impulse gone horribly, destructively wrong.


Published:     1st February 2018
Publisher:  Piatkus Books
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Book 46, In Death
Source:  Review Copy from Publisher




MY REVIEW

I know this is a series that I haven't started from book 1 (and I plan to do at some point but the series is 46 books long, so it's going to take me a while!) but this is one of my most favourite thriller series ever!  There are so many things I love about this; some of which I can share and some I can't because of spoilers.  Some aspects that I love include:
  • the characters.  With each and ever book I have read in this series, you have mostly the same core characters.  You obviously have Eve Dallas, the main detective we follow, her husband Roarke, who is a very interesting character himself, and many other police officers, journalists and professionals that Eve Dallas always seems to turn to when she is trying to work a case;
  • the story/plot.  Of course each and every book has its own story line different from the book before but most of the books that I come across tend to have certain things happen at the same times such as someone gets murdered, detectives have to find out what or who, there's some sort of twist and then maybe a conclusion.  I like this; and 
  • this world is set way in the future, where you can program a machine to make you a meal or brew you a coffee and such.  Some novels that I have come across that have this just seem too far fetched but with this series although it is set in the future and there are some smaller aspects that are in the story that point out that, the main story is very universal and can be set at any time. 
This next instalment in the In Death Series certainly did keep me at the edge of my seat and despite the fact that it was mostly predictable, I enjoyed the ride the author took me on and can't wait to read the next one!!!

0 comments: