27 Dec 2016

,

Book Review / The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

The debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives.

EVERY DAY THE SAME
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

UNTIL TODAY
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?



Published:     13th January 2015
Publisher:  Riverhead Books
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Owned



MY REVIEW

What I liked about this story...    This was one of those books that I had seen everywhere and then found out that there was a movie of it so I thought it was about time I picked up the book so I can watch the movie.  I haven't watched the movie yet as I wanted to write my review of the book and get my thoughts about before having an opinion about the book  I really enjoyed this.  Ok, so it was a slow read but that was the part of the story that I enjoyed the most.  You see Rachel at the beginning taking the train every day that passes a particular row of houses every time.  Over time Rachel knows a lot about a particular couple that lives in one of those houses.  As the story goes on, we learn more and more about Rachel and more and more about the couple who live in the house, as the story is split into two different perspectives.  As well as seeing Rachel's side of the story, we also get to follow the story of the couple in the house.  I loved how the story become more complicated than I could ever imagine and I loved the build up of the suspense.  If I was being honest, I enjoyed the build up a lot more than the reveal.


What I didn't like about this story...  Although I did enjoy this and I will definitely be checking out the movie as I mentioned above I enjoyed the build up in the story a lot better than the reveal.  By the time we got to the ending I had already expected what was going to happen.   I would have loved to have been surprised a bit more by what happened. 


0 comments: