25 Mar 2016

,

Book Review / The Loneliness of Distant Beings by Kate Ling

'It is that quick, it is that strong, it is that beautiful. And it is also totally impossible.'

Even though she knows it's impossible, Seren longs to have the sunshine on her skin. It's something she feels she needs to stay sane. But when you're floating through space at thousands of kilometres an hour, sometimes you have to accept there are things you cannot change.

Except that the arrival of Dom in her life changes everything in ways she can barely comprehend. For a while he becomes the Sun for her; and she can't help but stay in his orbit. Being with him flaunts every rule designed to keep their home in order, but to lose him would be like losing herself.

In the end they must decide what is most important: loyalty to the only home they've ever known, or to each other?



Published:     19th May 2016
Publisher:  Little Brown
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source:  Review Copy from Publisher 

MY REVIEW

What I loved about this story...   I always love coming across new stories based in space.  The last time I read one of those was the Across the Universe trilogy, which I loved, so I was so excited to read this one and see what it has to offer.  Honestly, my favourite character in this story is not the main character but Dom, the secondary character in this story.  Dom is someone that Seren meets one day who has a lot of secrets, has a wider knowledge of who they are and what they are doing together with his gentlemanly attitude towards helping Seren.  I really liked his character and definitely routed for him during this story.  By far my favourite part of this story is the ending.  Of course I won't explain why as I don't want to spoil the story for you but what I will say is that I am glad certain characters made the decisions they did.  It definitely lead to a very action packed finale!

 What I didn't like about this story...  Ok, now for the honest part.  This book was very predictable.  If I hadn't have read the Across the Universe trilogy I think this story would have blown me away a lot more than it did.  Also, there is a lot of insta-love in this book which I honestly didn't like.   That element of this story was just too fast for me.

In summary...  A fun easy to read space coming of age story.  Apart from the reasons above that I didn't like, this story definitely did end very action packed and I would really love to find out what happens next if there happens to be a next story...






0 comments: